Inflammation is an important process in the body, in some cases, however, too much inflammation can impact our body in a bad way. Some health conditions, like arthritis, causes our immune system to trigger an inflammatory response even when there are no foreign invaders, which ends up causing damage to its own tissues.
As pain and inflammatory conditions can affect our daily lives, people are more often looking for CBD oil products as an alternative or even complementary treatment to help reduce symptoms of inflammation and pain.
According to Harvard Health Publishing, chronic pain, arthritis, and inflammation are some of the most common health issues that use CBD as a treatment. CBD has been gaining more popularity as a natural path to help those suffering from pain and inflammation, whether due to an injury or a chronic condition. Learn the benefits and how to use CBD for inflammation and pain:
Benefits of CBD to treat pain and inflammation
- Endocannabinoids are natural signals in the body that help maintain homeostasis by detecting and regulating things like pain. CBD helps increase our body’s natural endocannabinoids, which in turn decreases the inflammatory response and reduces pain.
- A study has found that arthritis patients have high levels of CB2 receptors in the joint tissue and the use of cannabis can help fight inflammation, as it activates the pathways of these CB2 receptors.
- Increased levels of anandamide, a compound associated with regulating pain, may reduce the amount of pain. CBD can help the body stop absorbing anandamide which helps reduce pain.
- Cannabidiol may also limit inflammation in the brain and nervous system, which can benefit people struggling with pain, insomnia, and certain pain related immune-system disorders.
- The anti-inflammatory process of cannabidiol doesn’t work like other anti-inflammatory drugs, which means people don’t have the risk of developing gastrointestinal issues or heart attacks.
CBD for Arthritis and Joint Pain
A study performed in animals showed that CBD contributed to a significant drop in inflammation and signs of pain to mice with arthritis.
Arthritis can affect anyone, and it can significantly impact our routine and quality of life, but seniors are commonly the most affected as the age brings joint pain, osteoporosis and some natural body wear. CBD can be efficient at targeting joint pain as well as other common aches and pains that seniors more commonly experience.
CBD for Muscle pain relief
When performing sports and high impact activities, you can create damage and micro-tears in your muscles, which is why you feel sore after a couple of days.
Several athletes have seen many benefits when using CBD to help combat muscle pain, inflammation and fatigue after exercising. Most of the CBD products for muscle pain relief are topicals or gels, but you can also use CBD with a vape, or take it orally with pills or edibles.
CBD and Chronic Pain
We all have a cell system known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Some researchers find that CBD interacts with an important component of the endocannabinoid receptors attached to our cells in our brain and immune system. They receive signals, mostly chemical ones, from different stimuli and help the cells respond which creates anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects.
Besides that, CBD can help loose the body and support people with chronic pain fall asleep and to stay asleep. CBD helps reduce anxiety as people may struggle with pain and lack of sleep.
3 ways to use CBD for pain relief
CBD products come in many forms, including CBD Oils, CBD Topicals and CBD Edibles. Here’s a few ways you can use CBD to manage your pain:
Capsules & Pills
CBD Capsules and pills contain CBD oil in capsule form that are an easy, flavourless, and discreet way to get the same dosage of CBD at the same time every day.
CBD topical can offer muscle relief as creams, cosmetics, and patches. The skin soaks in CBD directly and it can help manage pain, arthritis symptoms and inflammation.
This method is very effective, it lasts much longer than those of CBD that is inhaled through smoking or a vape and it can provide all-day symptom relief. Tinctures are dissolved in a liquid to be placed under the tongue. Although messy, it is one of the most potent ways to consume CBD oil.
The amount of CBD you should take depends on a range of factors, including your body weight, the condition, and the users individual body chemistry.
If you are looking into using CBD to help manage pain, we recommend to first speak to a doctor about whether it is a good idea, as it may interact with certain dietary supplements and prescription medications. Make sure to follow the doctor’s advice about dose.
Also ensure you find a reputable company that provides high quality cbd oils. Ideally, we recommend trying different CBD products and starting low and slow to check what works best for you and your health condition.